AAT Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping
The advanced qualification in bookkeeping enables students wanting to pursue a career in bookkeeping to develop advanced skills and knowledge. Students will be able to develop skills they have already learned on the level 2 certificate in bookkeeping and apply more advanced techniques. It is aimed at experienced bookkeepers, this qualification covers areas such as double entry bookkeeping, financial statements, intermediate spreadsheets and software use.
The AAT level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping consists of three units which are examined in the following way:
Advanced Bookkeeping - unit assessment
- Final Accounts Preparation - unit assessment
- Indirect Tax - unit assessment
What will you learn in each AAT Level 3 unit?
- Apply the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping.
- Implement procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets.
- Prepare and record depreciation calculations.
- Record period-end adjustments.
- Produce and extend the trial balance.
Final Accounts Preparation
- Distinguish between the financial recording and reporting requirements of different types of organisations.
- Explain the need for final accounts and the accounting and ethical principles underlying their preparation.
- Prepare accounting records from incomplete information.
- Produce accounts for sole traders.
- Produce accounts for partnerships.
- Recognise the key differences between preparing accounts for a limited company and a sole trader.
- Understand and apply VAT legislation requirements.
- Accurately complete VAT returns and submit them in a timely manner.
- Understand the implications for the business of errors, omissions and late filing and payment.
- Report VAT-related information within the organisation in accordance with regulatory and organisational guidelines
What sort of jobs will this lead to?
- Professional bookkeeper
- Senior bookkeeper
- Accounts manager
- Ledger manager
- A good command of English and maths is expected.
- It is highly recommended to start at level 2 and progress to level 3.
- It is possible to enter directly at level 3, depending on prior qualifications and experience.