ACCA Exam Tips
With your exams just around the corner, we've put together some top ACCA Exam tips to ensure the work you've put in throughout your course really pays off in the exam hall.
Our tutors and students have identified the areas they think are key to focus on, as well as other tips to help you prepare.
Before the exam
- Start studying well before the exam date, don’t leave it to the last minute.
- Take a revision course so you feel fully prepared on the exam day.
- Make sure you are familiar with the exam structure, syllabus, regulations, etc.
- Plan your preparation - set achievable targets for each day.
- Make sure you understand the key points, concepts and models.
- Look at the questions from the previous exams.
- Pay extra attention to the recommended topics.
- Review the ACCA Examiner Reports and Examiner Analysis Interviews on the ACCA website.
- Ask for help if you’re struggling.
- Visit the exam centre so you know how to get there and give yourself plenty of time on the day.
- Get a good night’s sleep before your exam.
- Don’t panic!
During the exam
- Take time to read through all questions (15 min).
- Divide exam time equally between all answers, let’s say 30 minutes. After a half-hour start answering the next question. It’s better to come back and add something at the end of the exam, rather than waste an hour answering one question with no time left to answer the rest of them.
- Make sure you understand the question, its requirements and what the examiner is asking for before answering.
- Start from the questions you know and are confident about.
- Try to answer all questions. If you don’t have time left to answer the question properly, write down the key points, so the examiner sees that you understand this topic. It might help to earn an extra mark.
- Don’t spend too much time on the introduction as every second counts. Instead, get straight to the point and make it clear for the examiner.
- Focus on the main points when answering the questions. Don’t repeat the same things and don’t waste your time filling in the pages with unnecessary information. Pay attention to the quality of your answers, rather than the quantity.
- Make sure your answer is related to the question.
- Plan your answer. Spend one minute deciding what you want to write, create a short plan for your answer (1,2,3) and follow it. Keep it simple, but organized and structured.
- Don’t spend too much time on the details.
- Leave space after each answer in case you have some time at the end of the exam to add something.
After the exam
- If you have time, review your answer for mistakes and try to improve your answers.
- If you have another exam, get some rest and prepare for the next one.
- Relax! The exam is over. What you do next is up to you.
What's your next step?
You can top up your ACCA qualification with a postgraduate degree (Global MBA or Master in Finance and Investments) with us. You'll get the advanced leadership and analytical skills you need to progress in your career.
Let our outstanding teaching and resources release your true potential and get the perfect blend of knowledge and practical skills.
For information on our upcoming intakes, contact one of our advisors by filling in the form or call us on +44 (0) 20 3005 6336.
Message us on WhatsApp or contact a programme advisor by phone:
+44 (0) 20 3005 6336