GGSB MSc in Finance – Programme Structure
GGSB MSc in Finance is a two-year course run in partnership with Grenoble Graduate School of Business (GGSB). GGSB is one of Europe's most prestigious business schools, triple accredited by AMBA , EQUIS and AACSB and ranked by the Economist and Business Week.
The course builds a strong foundation in the theory and practice of making financial decisions in an international environment, so it's ideal for students aiming to work at the senior levels in banking, financial services and corporate finance.
The GGSB MSc in Finance has a total of 4 stages each reinforcing the previous stage, helping to refine and focus your learning. The first 3 stages are covered during the first year, followed by the 4th stage which is a Capstone Course, encompassing everything you've studied and preparing you to apply your learning in the Final Master's Project, the Professional Dissertation.
In line with London School of Business & Finance's ethos of offering students a career-focused innovative education, students on the GGSB MBA, MIB, and MSc in Finance programmes from GGSB are now able to devote up to 50 per cent of their course to company-based learning, either in the form of a work placement or a full time paid internship.
The company-based learning element of the degree will be assessed as a part of the students' academic requirements, allowing students to actively apply the knowledge and skills gained as a part of their studies in the work place. This unique offer enables students to combine real world insights with academic work.
Students on these programmes will be able to devote six to 12 months of their course on an immersive company-based experience. Enhancing their understanding of real life business processes, it will also form an integral part of students' final management project.
Students will be able to work with LSBF's Careers and Corporate Division, accessing LSBF's network of over 400 corporate clients and partners in search for the work placement of their choice – not just in the UK, but globally.
Places on these highly sought-after programmes are strictly limited to 45 students in class.
|Stage 1 – Fundamentals of Finance||12 Months||
|Stage 2—Mastering Financial Management||
|Stage 3—Advanced Finance||
|Stage 5—Capstone Course||12 Months||
|Choose One Elective||Modules|
|IT Tools for Market Finance||
- The first stage of the programme will cover the basic knowledge and tools needed by financial professionals such as economics, quantitative methods, financial reporting and analysis, and fundamentals principles of corporate finance.
|Corporate Finance and Investment Decisions||
|Accounting and Financial Statements Analysis||
|Quantitative Methods for Finance||
|Economics for Finance||
- Building on the basic principles taught in stage 1, stage 2 covers advance corporate finance items (investment under uncertainty, valuation, international financial management) as well as related fields essential for financial managers such as management control systems, ethics and professional standards, and corporate governance.
|Mergers & Acquisitions and Company Valuation||
|Management Control Systems||
|International Financial Management||
|Ethics, Professional Standards and Corporate Governance||
|Audit and Risk Management||
Stage 3 aims to provide students with an understanding of the impact on financial analysis of complex topics such as deferred income taxes, balance sheet debt, leases and off-balance sheet debt, employee benefits, and business mergers or consolidation. The course content focuses on the following topics:
- Fixed Income Investments
- Financial restructuring, LBOs and Venture Capital.
- Asset Management
- Advanced Financial Statement Analysis
- Stage 4 allows you to tailor your GGSB MSc in Finance by taking skill development courses designed to help you apply knowledge and skills to real-world situations. Market Finance is awarded in London, Europe's financial capital while Corporate Finance, Islamic Finance and Microfinance are available in Grenoble.
- Cash Management & Bank Relations
- Strategic Performance Control
IT Tools for Market Finance:
- VBA for financial market modelling
- Trading on the Bloomberg platform
- Sharia's principles and contracts
- Principles underlying Islamic Banking
- Portfolio Management specificities
- History of Microfinance
- Markets, Products, Regulations and main players of the microfinance industry.
- Operational Management of a Microfinance Institution.
- Financial Management of a Microfinance Institution
The Capstone is a financial strategy and interactive case study encompassing all the skills developed throughout the program. The objectives of the module are to improve, and test, the students' ability in the following areas:
- To critically analyse the main strategic and technical aspects of an actual financial operation, such as a merger, takeover, LBO, IPO, etc
- To make a written presentation of their analysis
- To work in a multicultural group under a time constraint
- To improve their cooperation, communication, negotiation, and leadership skills
The second year of the programme is devoted to completing the Professional Dissertation under the supervision of a tutor. The Management Research Methodology module offers a detailed framework of guidance for preparing the Dissertation and covers concepts such as research processes, types of research, research methodology, and sources of collection and the analysis of data.
The dissertation is an opportunity to apply academic studies to a real-world business scenario, and students are encouraged to choose a dissertation subject that reflects their future career aspirations. The dissertation can be completed alongside an internship or permanent employment in the UK or abroad giving students the chance to combine practical work experience with the latter stages of their Master's degree.
The GGSB MSc in Finance is designed to stay relevant to the modern international marketplace ensuring that you graduate with an up-to-date skill set that employers value. You can develop your professional skills further by combining the programme with a professional qualification under LSBF's unique Dual Programmes initiative.
To find out more about the career opportunities open to GGSB MSc in Finance students visit the Career Direction page.